Sunday, January 3, 2016

The Ill-wishers!

Why is there so much compulsion in the world to talk bad about others. 

Recently I have been reading conversations on a few whatsapp groups where everyone is super supportive of each other, helping each other when doubts and concerns are raised, complimenting each other on new looks, sharing recipes and movie reviews, being a support group when needed and genuinely being good to each other. These are people who met about 15 years back, then got on with their own lives and as life always comes around a full circle, have now come back together to find friendship, solace and lots of fun in each others' company. Seeing this gives me a lot of faith in humanity. 

Then there are my own precious friends. People, knowing that I'm a right klutz in making an effort to keep in touch, knowing that I am not very good at sharing my deepest, darkest, have still been around and have always shared the comfort to pick up the phone after months, even years, and start talking like the last conversation was yesterday. People that have such huge hearts, they support their friends through thick and thin, stand by and never judge. People whose convictions in me and my decisions have helped me way more than I could ever express to them in my very limited vocabulary of expressing feelings. And they strengthen my belief in humanity and kindness that much more. 

And then there are these others, the ones that motivated me to write this post. The ones who have really no place in our lives except for being acquainted by circumstances. I have seen a few of these people around among all the other caring, appreciative supportive ones. Not only can they ever wish anything good for others, let alone actually helping, they seem to take a lot of glee from when something sad (read that as 'newsworthy') befalls others. And if they can't find anything really sad or negative to talk about and judge, they will make things out of thin air.

I have gone through stuff in life that have brought me to a lot of junctures where I'd have been judged and talked ill about. And I am sure a lot of these people would have had a field day (or a few years) of doing just that. (Thankfully, I have the friends I mentioned earlier and of course my family, who helped that sailing be not-as-rough as it could have been.) But what's even worse is when these people don't have anything new to say. The unexplained hatred and the need to fuel this negativity is so great that they would even end up saying something as random as "What's so great about the photos she shares of herself with her kid! I don't see why she should put photos of her and her kid on FB as profile photos" (!!!!!) when someone happens to mention in their presence that this person's photos on fb are nice or something random like that. Erm...need? I mean what is this intrinsic compulsion these people feel to HAVE TO be so negative and hateful and mean? Is it insecurity about their own lives? Is it pure jealousy? Is it the need to validate their own lives and decisions by showing other people's as worse? What could be that factor, that driving force behind wanting and having to feel only bad things for other people especially who they really have next to no direct interactions with? It beats the hell out of me the kind of negativity and filth these people's brains might be filled with to always have such things on the ready. And also, isn't this kind of negativity festering inside their own minds bad for them? To nurture so much hatred and negativity and always say bad things, don't their own minds have to be a sad, dark, vengeful place?

Let me also just say this at the risk of being hated and called an anti-feminist(!!!), most of them that I have come across are mostly who us Indian kids identify as "aunties", ladies of a/or a few generations back. No I am NOT generalizing. I know a lot of really cool, awesome, caring supportive ones as well. I am sharing what I have experienced. (Basically, I am only saying the apples I have seen are mostly red, NOT that everything red is an apple.) Anyways, the very cliche picture of kitty party aunties bitching and gossiping and wishing only bad on others and deriving oh so much happiness after that is, like all other cliches, come from too much of reality. It is just sad to see. But, once again ending this on a high note, it really is so so heartening to see more and more people of my generation going the extra mile to be nice and positive and make that bond. (Lovely thought!) I really hope this is a changing trend of humanity and not just another cycle where a lot of us will eventually grow up into being those aunties. (Scary thought!)

2 comments:

  1. I never understand these "ill wishers". What benefit does it serve? First off, it's so common in Kerala that it's ridiculous, but I know it's in other places as well. They always have to find something to talk "bad", no respect for the individual whatsoever. It can be on looks, skin color (we know how skin tone is important to attract someone), occupation, opinions, personal views, favorite hobbies..anything. If they can't find something major, they will find something petty. What else do they have to do? I have lots of good examples regarding this. According to my mom and her family who are within this category from an Indian standpoint, I am "bad" as I ruined my life and should have been married at 23 with kids and must be the perfect DIL who cooks/cleans, speaks perfect Malayalam, and act like a servant and "bomma" for husband and in laws. I went through some circumstances that were not in my control and they can't see this after exclaiming everyone has ups and downs? They also love to talk shit about other relatives and make unappropriate comments. Ex: One cousin tragically lost her little son last September from a freak accident. My relatives once the funeral was done and we were all home were talking shit about them on how they were not "acknowledged" by her or her husband?!!! WHAAAT!!! Uh, first of all they were grieving heavily and were mentally unstable since they lost their baby, they didn't acknowledge anyone! The people whom they talked though WENT TO THEM ! I was irritated by them as if they were looking for some prestige. These people did work hard to make life better for all and yes they deserve the utmost respect in that sense, but how they treat people is uncalled for. My last India trip was miserable d/t their so called attitudes..I couldn't even breathe and it strained relationships w/ dear ones. Yup, they want prestige and will pull/tear others down. I see this often in the malayalee community too. It's a shame that people can't treat others with kindness and respect! If you had these two things, I'm pretty sure strong relationships will form strongly. Sorry to go off a ramble, but the last few days for me were a "piss off" trial as I have been downgraded and called horrible things. I'm usually very patient and can let it go, but my buttons were pushed TOO far that I'm steaming !

    ReplyDelete
  2. One more thing, I feel people like you and me need to break this mold for the sake of the future. Let's parent in a different way rather than a very communal way. I seriously hope we can stop producing more "ill wishers" or "holier than art thou" assholes than there already are, otherwise this world is doomed for good :p

    ReplyDelete